Sunday, December 17, 2006

Mysterious Visitors 11-2706

Kevin Cliffe: Cap'n?
Rae Overholt: Yeah Kevin? What's on the agenda today?
Kevin Cliffe: There's a big honkin' starship parked in front of Raven.
Rae Overholt: What?? Does it have markings?
Kevin Cliffe: No. none.
Rae Overholt: nobody hanging around it?
Kevin Cliffe: Nope.
Rae Overholt: Weapons?
Kevin Cliffe: Three turrets, port, starboard, and center on the nose.
Rae Overholt: Not leaking radiation is it?
Kevin Cliffe: Crap, make that four turrets...And no...looks like basal levels, but it's contained.
Rae Overholt: Not reavers atleast. Notice anyone snooping around?
Kevin Cliffe: Other than me?
Rae Overholt: I take that as a no. Do we know what this other captain we're looking for flies? I dont recall jadi mentioning
Kevin Cliffe: Hang on, I think I've found a reg marking...vidar ofeq? Damn thing looks like a shocktroop carrier. All the weapons are situated fore like a fighter, but it's huge.
Holy crap... I am not liking this. Paired pulse drives, quad manuvering thrust...
Rae Overholt: Let's hope its not what we're up against
Kevin Cliffe: Eight bunks, main deck seating for twelve...
Rae Overholt: MY GOD! Thats pretty big
Kevin Cliffe: And fast. Paired pulse drives on a ship this small? This is a shock assault ship. Port and starboard paired plasma coiltubes with laser turrets in the fore... What I don't get...it's empty. engines are humming...
Rae Overholt: That is mighty strange. Nothings wrong with teh ship is it?
Kevin Cliffe: Linear tube fusion reactors...paired. And they're running at idle.
Rae Overholt: If its ok, you see if you can find any markings in there that might tell us who it is. Then get out before someone snatches you!
Kevin Cliffe: Already done.
Rae Overholt: and?
Kevin Cliffe: Ship has Reg markings for Vidar Ofeq.
Rae Overholt: Huh.. Ever hear of him?
Kevin Cliffe: oh hell I recognize those tubes...Those are my design... Nope.
Rae Overholt: Get out while you can..lay low.
Kevin Cliffe: Done and done. I'll even lay in a firing solution for Raven's main armament...won't pop the turrets, but if something goes south, one push of the button and that thing is shrapnel.
Rae Overholt: You see anythign strange you let me know. Anything else. You meet up with Sabrina and Xiao li on that matter we have coming up. Good thinking Kevin
Kevin Cliffe: I didn't survive this long in the black being dumb...
Rae Overholt: I reckon you didnt Kevin.
Kevin Cliffe: I put in some work on 'Hope's engine. I can light up her pulse drive without her going boom. But it'll blow all the plasma from the reactor. Figure that should be enough "engine trouble" with a sizeable energy flare to draw attention.
Sabrina was right though, if I didn't find the problem, she would have gone boom.
Rae Overholt: Thank buddah for Sabrina then.
Kevin Cliffe: And everyone else on this crew. Say cap'n, how many we got on our crew now? You, me, Sabrina, Xiao, the doc...
Rae Overholt: : *nods* lexi, shen, gabe
Kevin Cliffe: We've got six crew dorms.
Rae Overholt: 4 passenger, think we already got the crew dorms taken though
Kevin Cliffe: Huh...were do you want me bunking out?
Rae Overholt: Let me get back to you on that Kevin. I"d prefer you near the front...since you're our best pilot
Rae Overholt: : Seems those two cabins might be taken though
Kevin Cliffe: Not on this ship. Xiao's the one who's got the feel for her.
Rae Overholt: Xiao is lucky she can walk straight..she already fesses up that flying inst her strong point.
Kevin Cliffe: And I can't fly and run twin turrets at the same time. Besides, I think she's got some talent.
Rae Overholt: Let's hope she does. If we can keep 'er sober.
Kevin Cliffe: Betcha it might not matter as long as she's not falling-down drunk. I'm reminded of a tidbit of history from earth that was about another pilot who got similarly smashed.
Chuck Yeager, the first human to fly faster than the speed of sound.
Rae Overholt: huh
Kevin Cliffe: I think she'll handle her well enough with some practice, and we need to rely on someone's talents while I handle the diversion with 'Hope.
Rae Overholt: ok
Kevin Cliffe: This bogey is creeping me out...
Rae Overholt: It creeps me out a might too. Nothing we can do about it. You see miss jadi or roland or miss ana about?
Kevin Cliffe: Negative, cap'n.
Rae Overholt: Alright. Nothing we can do for now then.
Kevin Cliffe: Yeah, I'd turn on the active camo if turning it on on the ground wasn't such a gorram bad idea right now.
Rae Overholt: Let's not do that. THey've already seen her.
Kevin Cliffe: Question is, who are "they?" That ship is alliance-grade hardware. But the Alliance uses a shocktroop transport for assault. It's designed to go in, guns blazing.
Rae Overholt: Hopefully no one hostile. They had plenty of time to damage things if they were I'm guessing. Might be just plain old travelors. Did you check the Raven for anything unusual?
Kevin Cliffe: Other than the fact that we have an unaccounted-for nest of rats somewhere in this ship...
EM tracing is negative, tac controls haven't been touched, IR sensors haven't picked up unusual movement.
Rae Overholt: Then we should be good right?
Kevin Cliffe: Either that or we're already humped beyond the capacity for vigilance to avoid.
Rae Overholt: Well I'm an optimist and I'm not goign to think that yet.
Kevin Cliffe: I'm a realist...and I like to be prepared.
Rae Overholt: That is good too.
Kevin Cliffe: Even had a design for a weapon kicking around in the back of my head...multiple use dual handheld combat system.
Rae Overholt: Nice. Can you make it happen?
Kevin Cliffe: Not for a long time, I'm afraid...not until Raven is fully up and running.
Kevin Cliffe: Priority one is this ship and her crew.
Rae Overholt: I agree.
Kevin Cliffe hey, Sabrina?
Sabrina McGee: Yes?
Kevin Cliffe: any ideas about the ship out front?

No comments: