Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Firefly you say? That ain't a bad ship... "

Xiao Li Marshal stretches her legs in the cockpit, glad to be away from Heir and his flunkies.

Rae Overholt walks up to the second chair and plops down in it, "I owe you a drink Xiao Li. Know how you dislike dancing and all."

Xiao Li Marshal: Yeah, just so long as you remember it.

Rae Overholt chuckles, "You aren't just happy with the good deed of keepin’ a girl out of slavery?"

Xiao Li Marshal: Oh, I'm fine with that, don't get me wrongly. But I still say we shoulda kept a little more o' that coin for ourselves.

Rae Overholt: Well, you've forgotten our crate from Heir. We should be able to live off that for awhile. Reckon? She presses the com button and calls out, "GABE, got any tea left?"

Xiao Li Marshal: I sure hope so. An' I definitely hope everything holds up long enough for us to get to Blackburne.

Gabriel Keats: "Shr ah, should be some left in the cabinet."

Rae Overholt: *continues to press com button* "Shiny. Also, wanna thank you for what you did, distracting lump and all."

Gabriel Keats doesn't respond.

Rae Overholt: *coms* Wanna come up? Discuss a few things? Bring me my, tea?

Gabriel Keats: "Sure. Shiny."

Xiao Li Marshal smirks. "That was fun to watch."

Rae Overholt lets go of the com and looks to Xiao li. "You ain't right girl."

Xiao Li Marshal: So I've been told.

Rae Overholt lets out a laugh. She eyes Xiao Li. "You reckon I was too hard on our Mechanic?"

Xiao Li Marshal: Frankly? I'm amazed you put up with 'im this long.

Rae Overholt: Well, I put up with you don't I? ::She grins widely and leans back to mimic Xiao Li's relaxed pose.::

Gabriel Keats preps the tea in the galley, face closed off, pours two cups and heads towards the bridge.

Xiao Li Marshal smirks teasingly. "That's because of my winning personality."

Gabriel Keats walks up and holds both the glasses out.

Rae Overholt takes her feet off the instrument panel as she hears Gabe approach. Twisting around in her seat she gives Xiao Li a wink as she turns and grins widely to Gabe. "My hero has arrived."

Gabriel Keats laughs a little, waits for them to take the plain tea.

Rae Overholt takes the tea and sips on it, standing up so Gabe can have the seat. She blows on the tea as she debates what to discuss next, knowing she needs to address the ever shifting crew. Looking from one to another she waits to see if one of them will bring it up.

Kevin Cliffe arrives at the general store, pays a fee for the cortex terminal, and punches in a few codes...plus one ID code he knows all too well...and fires off the wave...

Xiao Li Marshal lifts her head as the console buzzes. "Huh. Got a wave comin' in. From... *Kevin Cliffe*?"

Rae Overholt: Well I'll be a monkeys aunt. What's he got ta say for himself? Wanderin’ off like that without tellin’ nobody?

Xiao Li Marshal: Let's find out, shall we?

Rae Overholt nods and peers over her shoulder at the screen.

Xiao Li Marshal punches up the wave.

Gabriel Keats half-sits against a wall, waits for Xiao Li to take her cup--he will leave with it if she doesn't take it.

Kevin Cliffe smiles and waves at the faces that come up..."Thought I might get through."

Xiao Li Marshal: “Where the tian xiao de have you been, man?” She reaches behind her without looking and grabs the cup from Gabe just as he's about to leave.

Kevin Cliffe: Trying to find you mostly...and trying to keep one step ahead of...well our mutual acquaintances. They caught me in a bad spot, I couldn't link up.

Xiao Li Marshal: C'mon. Someone as savvy as you couldn't figure out a way to get in touch?

Rae Overholt: We've met a few of our "mutual acquaintances" lately. Did them right proper if I say so myself, right Gabe? ::She grins a mischievous grin::

Gabriel Keats laughs and nods.

Kevin Cliffe: Easier said than done. At this point I can guess you've filled the void in my absence.

Xiao Li Marshal: You'd think so, wouldn't you? We've had a hell of a time trying to keep people on, though.

Rae Overholt: Which void?

Kevin Cliffe: Oh you know, Raven's special features.

Rae Overholt places one hand on the shoulder of Xiao Li's chair and leans closer to the screen. "Can't say as we have."

Kevin Cliffe: Well where you heading next? We can try to hook up.

Rae Overholt leans back and decides to let Xiao Li handle the conversation from here.

Xiao Li Marshal: We're en route to Blackburne, lookin' for a new mechanic. That anywhere near your neck of the woods?

Kevin Cliffe: I'm at the general store right now. Hey, I'm a fair hand with a wrench, you know, if it comes to it.

Rae Overholt calls out, face unviewable from her position, "Don't do us no good to have a wrench we can't never find."

Kevin Cliffe: Check under the grates.

Xiao Li Marshal: Hey, a hypothetical mechanic's better'n none at all, right?

Rae Overholt: MMhmm, always were cong ming de Kevin.

Kevin Cliffe: There's at least two candidates here. by the way, anyone I should watch out for?

Rae Overholt: Why dont you give them a good grilling for us. See if they'd work for us, fit in nice. After the last one, I prefer a team player.

Kevin Cliffe: Well one of 'em's 'Brina, if that helps.

Xiao Li Marshal raises an eyebrow.

Rae Overholt: Well, that mean she's coming back to us???

Kevin Cliffe: Cap'n, I was speaking with her while I was here...you'd have to convince her yourself.

Xiao Li Marshal: Well, we'll be touching down in 'bout an hour's time. We'll see what happens then, right, Cap'n?

Rae Overholt: That we will.

Kevin Cliffe: “Meet you at Firefly's.” He stabs the end call button...

Rae Overholt looks around the cabin, "You folks reckon he can stay still long enough for us to get from one port to another? I'd be awful upset if I woke up one night and he was missin’. What with only a vacuum being out there. Wouldn't put it past him though.” ::She takes another sip of her tea::

Xiao Li Marshal: We *do* have suits, y'know.

Rae Overholt nods. "Well, guess we'll see. Get us there and we'll see what they have for us"

Xiao Li Marshal: Already on it, Cap'n.

Rae Overholt nods to her, busy looking at the other data screen.

Cimorene Ronmark: <>

Rae Overholt peers at the data screen and punches a button, leaning low over it. "Here."

Cimorene Ronmark: Doin a bit of research, ma'am. Got a moment?

Rae Overholt: Sure thing Ms Universe.

Cimorene Ronmark: I've been contacted regarding some ... parts. Parts that are in the way of being ... sought after. Wondering if Raven might have any interest?

Rae Overholt: That so. :::she says in a neutral yet friendly voice:: Might can help you out there.

Cimorene Ronmark: Indeed... it seems that my contact has come into possession of a certain fully-loaded shuttle.

Rae Overholt nods, "Where might this individual need these parts taken? Got a roster on the parts? We're avoiding the God made kind lately after a little run in recently. Prefer to stick to the man made ones."

Cimorene Ronmark: My contact has a roster in the works. Looking to offload some such things as might prove useful to other folk.

Rae Overholt: Well, we just happen to be in the offloading business. Might can help you out there. Where can I meet your contact?

Cimorene Ronmark: Let me see what I can do for you. Due back in the world sometime soon?

Rae Overholt: Should be later in the day.

Cimorene Ronmark: Good to hear.

Rae Overholt: Contact you when we arrive?

Cimorene Ronmark: All right then, see you in the world. You know where to find me.

Rae Overholt nods and closes the wave, then exits the ship to meet the folks at firefly.

Sabrina McGee refills Rol's double bourbon.. "Sure thing.."

Xiao Li Marshal: Ah, that's the stuff.

Sabrina McGee: Some of Pa's best, Xiao Li..

Kevin Cliffe: Cap'n Overholt I presume?

Sabrina McGee: Umm.. Cap'n, is that you?

Rae Overholt: Presume all you want, just don’t accuse.

Kevin Cliffe: I didn't say anything.

Roland Josephus nods once to Sabrina, "Thanks." He picks up the glass and glances around as the bar begins to fill up.

Rae Overholt: So, Xiao li, I owe you a drink right?

Xiao Li Marshal: Yep. Once I'm finished with this one.

Rae Overholt tosses some creds on the bar and grins at Brina, "Hey girl. Get our pilot a drink. You gotta dance with me after though."

Sabrina McGee: All righty, another shot of McGee 10 year after this one..

Xiao Li Marshal: Ah hell. There's always a catch, ain't there.

Rae Overholt grins, "You know you want to. Hard to give it up when you got a taste for it."

Xiao Li Marshal gives Rae a Look. "No. I don't."

Kevin Cliffe: Hear you're in the market for a mechanic...

Rae Overholt: So, hear we got a couple candidates here?

Kevin Cliffe: Three...actually...I'm handy with a wrench, there's 'Brina, you know she's great with the firefly...and this guy here at the bar smells like engine grease...

Rae Overholt: That so. Brina, you coming back to us?

Sabrina McGee: Umm.. Dunno why Kevin keeps countin' me..

Rae Overholt: Cause you're here, and your our mechanic.

Kevin Cliffe: Because you know Raven better than I do in terms of every nut and bolt. You always have.

Sabrina McGee: I got a home here now.. I work here at the bar.. I play music and serve up drinks..

Rae Overholt: Fair 'nuff.

Sabrina McGee: I've got a girl here now.. it's not perfect.. I miss Raven and all.. and I miss wrenchin'.. but..

Roland Josephus lifts his glass to drink.

Rae Overholt approaches the patrons, nose sniffling lightly looking for the engine grease one. Stopping at Roland she leans past him and props on the bar, "You a mechanic?"

Roland Josephus pauses, and looks over to the woman a moment before nodding once, "I reckon so."

Rae Overholt: You reckon you need a job? Got references?

Roland Josephus smiles slightly, "Refrences? I been wrenchin most of my life.. I'm still here... Sides, don't know I want to crew for ye.. What are you flyin? Osprey? Somethen’ worse I bet."

Kevin Cliffe: Don't knock the osprey.

Sabrina McGee chuckles and stays out of it..

Xiao Li Marshal finally reaches the bottom of the glass.

Rae Overholt gives him a smirk, "Firefly. Best there is, named the Raven."

Sabrina McGee pours another shot for Xiao Li and sets it in front of her... “Cap'n, can I get you a drink?”

Rae Overholt: Nah, one drink and I'm out. Gabe ain't here to keep an eye on me. Better not. Thanks though Brina.

Xiao Li Marshal looks at the shot. Looks at Rae. Looks back at the shot. “...ah, to hell with it.” She downs the drink.

Roland Josephus glances over to Fionn, "I reckon I'll knock whatever I ple..." He pauses, and looks back to Rae, "Firefly you say? That ain't a bad ship... " He rubs his chin, "Cargo runs?"

Rae Overholt nods at him.

Sabrina McGee: She's a great ship.

Kevin Cliffe: Better than great.

Sabrina McGee: I practically rebuilt every system on that ship myself.

Roland Josephus looks over at the bartender, "Did ye now? What about the bussing?"

Sabrina McGee: Yup.. she's been all rewired. One of the first things we did. Kevin'll vouch for that.

Xiao Li Marshal: Me too. I pulled more dead rats outta the walls...

Kevin Cliffe: Oooh yeah, boy did we rewire her. How many times did we have to run that high-density insulation and repatch the eighty kilovolt relay lines?

Kevin Cliffe: Need a hand with the guns?

Roland Josephus sets his glass down, and looks over, "You the Captain?" He looks at Rae a moment.

Rae Overholt: That I am.

Roland Josephus falls quiet for a few moments, "I don't take to folks messin’ around in my engine room.… That be a problem?"

Kevin Cliffe looks to the captain...and wonders...

Sabrina McGee bristles at the "my" engine room.

Xiao Li Marshal: Problem?? Hell, that'll get you my fondest regards.

Rae Overholt: After my last run. Naw, I give you permission to shoot.

Kevin Cliffe: Ow, captain, that's gonna suck for whoever's running the left seat.

Rae Overholt: Left seat runner ain’t the mechanic. Thats what com's is for.

Roland Josephus looks between the pilot, and the captain, "I'd have to look at her first....."

Rae Overholt: We could manage that.

Kevin Cliffe: That saying you want me back on?

Rae Overholt: You gonna disappear on us every two days?

Kevin Cliffe: I hope not.

Rae Overholt: I'll give you another chance then.

Kevin Cliffe: All I can expect, captain. Besides...you'll know if I've really left.

Xiao Li Marshal: By what, the trail of bodies?

Rae Overholt: Well, drink up folks, then we get Shen and head back. Hear tell we got a job.

Kevin Cliffe: 'sup?

Roland Josephus empties his glass, and stands up. He tosses some credits on the bar for his drinks, and nods, "How soon you lifting off Cap'n?"

Rae Overholt: Thats a pilot question. I'd tell you as soon as we grab our crew and our boots hit the grating.

Kevin Cliffe: Hey, Roland, you'll love the engine space. And for the most part you won't have to worry about too many spare parts...if my tools are still on board I can machine you most things.

Xiao Li Marshal looks sidelong at Kevin. “...we REALLY coulda’ used that on this last run.”

Kevin Cliffe: Well now you've got it for this run.

Roland Josephus nods slowy, "Fair enough..." He looks at Kevin a moment, "The Raven...How many you got crewing her?"

Kevin Cliffe: Wait, I've been gone this long and nobody's figured out the special stuff yet?

Rae Overholt: SO folks, lets gather Shen up, show the mechanic here our baby and see what we do next.

Kevin Cliffe: Can you handle a wrench in hot combat? Under fire, your life on the line, resting on a technical solution?

Roland Josephus looks over to Fionn, and looks back to Merasu, "Combat?" He shrugs, "Been my experience... Most things in the engine room react poorly to gunfire."

Rae Overholt turns and heads out towards the clinic.

Rae Overholt: Well, I dare say its fallen onto disrepair since we were last here. Hope her care was better than the janitorial service.

Xiao Li Marshal: It'd *have* to be.

Rae Overholt snickers as Shen walks up in much better state. "There we go then. Let's get back to the ship."

The crew returns to Raven at the Blackburne landing dock.

Rae Overholt: “Well, what do you think?” Rae Overholt crosses her arms and waits for Roland's decision.

Roland Josephus wanders around for a bit, Taking it all in. He pauses several places to look inside the workings of the ship.

Kevin Cliffe waits for him to sign on before he shows the good stuff...

Xiao Li Marshal just watches, occasionally popping her gum.

Roland Josephus nods slowly, 'Well your back up atmo scrubber needs some work... Some of the wiring needs attention.. Doesn't look like anyone has cleaned a buss since they got here... "

Rae Overholt: Don't let Brina hear you say that.

Kevin Cliffe: It kept the rats from eating the wiring.

Xiao Li Marshal: I kept sayin' we should just get a cat.

Rae Overholt: “I agree, why haven't you? So, you onboard or not?” She shifts from one foot to another, hiding her anxiety.

Roland Josephus shakes his head, "No cats in the engine room... " He crosses his arms across his chest, before nodding, "She needs some work, but I'll get 'er straight."

Kevin Cliffe nods...looks to the captain..."should I show him now?"

Rae Overholt 's mouth stretches to a slow, wide grin. "You dance too? Show him after we get in the black. You need to pick up anything or can you go like you are?"

Roland Josephus: "Tools.. Won't be a few minutes.." He glances over to Kevin and back to the Captain,

Rae Overholt: We'll wait.

Kevin Cliffe: Once we get back to Washtown, want me to see about getting us a cat?

Fionn Wolfstein: I think I might like one. Xiao li can take care of it.

Rae Overholt turns her grin to Xiao Li.

Xiao Li Marshal: ...I had to open my big mouth, didn't I.

Rae Overholt: That you did. You'd think that gum was more useful.

Kevin Cliffe: I'll help. After all, it'll keep the rats out of the more delicate wires. Kevin feels for the hidden breaker switches... "Huh...these were left on."

Xiao Li Marshal: An' I guess it'll be an emergency food supply if we need it.

Rae Overholt gives Xiao Li a look that clearly states "not a chance in hell."

Roland Josephus leaves the conversation heading off ship. He returns in less than an hour hauling his tool bags.

Kevin Cliffe raises a brow...well, then again, this guy isn't moving in a machine shop...

Rae Overholt: Ok, get us up there Xiao, stow your stuff, what'd you say your name was? We're off to Landing.

Xiao Li Marshal: On it, Cap'n.

Roland Josephus mumbles his name as he passes by heading for the engine room, "Roland."

No comments: