Friday, February 2, 2007

A Call Home

Shen Jiutai places a Vid Call from a public booth on another part of the small moon that is the closest thing she can call a home. Hoping to catch Sabrina onboard the Raven, she instead finds Gabrial Keats who explains the plan to rescue the daughter of Senator McCoy from Lo Pan, to whom she has been sold into slavery at a brothel.

Shen Jiutai: “So, ya'll are plannin’ on bustin' a girl out of a whorehouse without me? Like I don't know who this Lo Pan is?”

Gabriel Keats: "Ain't planning on doing it without you. Just hadn't gotten a chance to talk to you. I might need your help, tell you the truth."

Shen Jiutai: “My bad, ain't been around for some time...”

Gabriel Keats: "You've been busy. Happens to the best of us, Shen."

Shen Jiutai: "I've got all these deals that pay, been keeping me away from the Raven...”

Gabriel Keats: "Can't say I complained, seeing as it kept you from beating my pigu from here to Osiris and back again." Gabriel Keats smiles ruefully.

Shen Jiutai: "Well as long as you don't try to mess with my girl, we're OK. By the way, if’n you see her tell her, and the Cap’n for that matter, that this guy Lo Pan is a son of a bitch. My family was part of a rival clan, and if the job gets done without me, I’ll be happy to see him dead.”

Gabriel Keats is suddenly more serious. "How bad is he?"

Shen Jiutai: "Don't under estimate him, this job WILL NOT be a cakewalk!"

Gabriel Keats: "Didn't expect it to be. Ain't ever had a job go smooth."

Shen Jiutai: "I wish I could be there... this kind of op is right up my alley..."
Shen thinks that perhaps it would be better if she wasn’t there, her presence would only inflame the dormant fued.

Gabriel Keats: "It'd be good if you were. Cap wants me to scout out the place, but you'd be able to do it quicker and quieter. Though it ain't like I don't have any experience…"

Shen Jiutai suppresses a giggle

Gabriel Keats raises his eyebrows. "Amused?"

Shen Jiutai: "the best advise I can give is to cover all the exits, have multiple escape routes, don't bite off more than you can chew... like just get the one girl out, don't try to storm the Bastille... These guys are well armed and BASTARDS... they won't take kindly to someone messing with their merchandise.”

Gabriel Keats: "See, this is the line I tried to use…'course, everyone's idealistic.”

Shen Jiutai: "Hell, Ya ought to tell 'um, hell I should, but I'm calling from across the moon right now, this deal might take a few days to wrap up..."

Gabriel Keats: "Well, we'll miss you if you aren't there… but Mont and I'll be undercover there when your girl goes in." Gabriel Keats seems unduly worried.

Shen Jiutai: "You keep a close eye on S... if'n something happens to her, you'll have to answer to me... oh yeah, and the Cap'n too..."

Gabriel Keats: "We won't let either of 'em get hurt."

Shen Jiutai: "better not, and you watch your back as well... like I said DON'T Underestimate these jerks!"

Gabriel Keats: "I don't underestimate anyone. That kinda thinking leads to gettin' shot."

Shen Jiutai: "If they shoot you it will only be so that they can catch you, then they'll have fun, for them, not for you..."

Gabriel Keats: "Question between you, me, and God's creation?"

Shen Jiutai: "yes?"

Gabriel Keats: "Going undercover… you think 'Brina can pull it off? I ain't questioning her skills, but she seems an innocent sort."

Shen Jiutai pauses for a moment, "God I hope so... she has to play as much of herself as possible, she'll be scared, in unfamiliar circumstances... she should just play it as if she, not anyone else, had just been abducted and found herself where she is... prolly ought ta rough her up some too, I hate to say it, but her life depends on it..."

Gabriel Keats considers Shen’s advise and wonders if she is as cold to her lover as she appears.

Shen Jiutai: "Listen Gabe, I gotta go, please tell the others what I said, and tell S. that I love her..."

Gabriel Keats: "Will do. Come back soon. We all miss ya. Be safe." He gives the vidscreen a knowing look.”

Shen Jiutai: “Oh, and Gabe, one more thing…”

Gabriel Keats: “Yes?”

Shen Jiutai: “Don’t Fuck up!”

Gabriel Keats laughs. "I'll do my best, ma'am."

Shen Jiutai: “Out”

The vidscreen goes dark and Shen stares for a second at her face in the reflection, wondering if her crew is up to the challenge before them.

No comments: